Who Am I?

I am Dr. Nancy Bereman, retired after 33 years on the faculty at Wichita State University. I taught courses in Human Resource Management. In retirement, I do a little bit of everything. Writing in this blog is one of them. As my byline reads... Just my random thoughts about life, work, and play. You may contact me at my email address: NancyBereman@gmail.com.


Friday, October 18, 2013

Blogging on Dr. Graham's Blog

Recently I have begun writing some HR relevant posts on Dr. Gerald Graham's blog, How Effective Leaders Get Things Done.  I have always had a tremendous amount of respect for his ability to write clearly and directly about significant management issues.  Recently a post that he made really resonated with me.  In this post, Gerald commented on the fact that few employees are motivated to change their behaviors on the job.  I asked Gerald if he would like me to do a follow-up regarding the same idea, but in a selection context.  My post - A Powerful Interviewing Technique - explains the principle of "The Best Predictor of Future Behavior is Past Behavior in Similar Circumstances" .

I would follow up on that post by saying that there is also a powerful situational influence on our behavior.   What we are likely to do and say in Church is probably not what we are likely to do and say at the local watering hole.  So circumstances / situations DO matter, which is why we added the phrase "in Similar Circumstances".

No comments: