Who Am I?

I am Dr. Nancy Bereman, retired after 33 years on the faculty at Wichita State University. I taught courses in Human Resource Management. In retirement, I do a little bit of everything. Writing in this blog is one of them. As my byline reads... Just my random thoughts about life, work, and play. You may contact me at my email address: NancyBereman@gmail.com.


Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The Beginning of the School Year

Some of you know that this year (May 2013) I retired after 33 years of teaching at Wichita State University.  As I start to see more and more information about the start of the school year, I am conflicted as to what I should be feeling.  On one hand, I am relieved that I don't have to gear up for teaching a new semester. On the other hand, there are definitely things that I would be looking forward to.

In the past, this is the time that I would start thinking about revisions to my syllabus.  What new things does the university require?  What did I learn from the last time I taught this course that might impact what I do this semester?  Even though students might not believe it, I would go back and read the student comments from my evaluations from last year.  I've read them before, but this time I would be looking at them with a view toward trying to learn what needs to change.  This year I don't have to do that. 

What will I miss?  I'll miss seeing my colleagues on a daily or weekly basis.  I'll miss complaining about parking (well maybe not so much that!).  I WILL miss the students.  I'll especially miss "my" HR majors.  I'll miss seeing them in class.  I don't have a solution for this.  I am NOT regretting my decision to retire, just realizing that there are things that I will miss.


No comments: