Who Am I?

I am Dr. Nancy Bereman, retired after 33 years on the faculty at Wichita State University. I taught courses in Human Resource Management. In retirement, I do a little bit of everything. Writing in this blog is one of them. As my byline reads... Just my random thoughts about life, work, and play. You may contact me at my email address: NancyBereman@gmail.com.


Friday, June 25, 2021

Day Trip - Sunday June 20th to Marion, Kansas

Who would have guessed that on our way to Marion Kansas, we would go through Canada?  Canada Kansas that is.  A former Speaker of the Senate of Canada sent his sons to buy 3 square miles (8 km2) near the future site of Canada. Many Canadian immigrants moved to the area.  Canada was platted on December 15, 1883, but never incorporated. Canada had a Post Office from 1884 to 1954.  Source

Canada has a boat / RV Storage facility! Quite handy since it is just down the road from Marion Reservoir. In August 2015, a film crew for an advertising agency in Toronto, Ontario came to Canada to interview residents and give away New Balance shoes for a Canadian TV commercial.

 

Check out the video! Everyone in Canada, KS got a pair of New Balance shoes.  Video on YouTube

The real purpose of our trip to Marion was to see the Elgin Hotel. Please look at the Hotel's web page to see what it offers.  Our pictures are below.




Our last stop in Marion was a lunch at the Cafe 256.  It is located at 330 East Main Street (Highway 256) close to the Elgin Hotel.  I had the best BLT I have ever had there. I highly recommend it. It's only open from 6 am to 2 pm so get there soon.




No comments: