Who Am I?

I am Dr. Nancy Bereman, retired after 33 years on the faculty at Wichita State University. I taught courses in Human Resource Management. In retirement, I do a little bit of everything. Writing in this blog is one of them. As my byline reads... Just my random thoughts about life, work, and play. You may contact me at my email address: NancyBereman@gmail.com.


Sunday, June 6, 2021

Day Trip - June 5th, 2021

Richard and I have been taking some day trips to interesting spots in Kansas.  Yesterday, we drove to the little town of Cedar Point.  When I say "little" I mean it.  The 2010 census counted 28 people in 13 households.  The town was founded in 1862. It took about an hour to drive to this little town and on our return we stopped in Florence for lunch and then came home via Highway 77 south to El Dorado and then west to Wichita.

 So what is there to see in Cedar Point?  There is the Drinkwater and Schriver Mill which is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. 

"In 1867, a log dam was built across the Cottonwood River, and a wooden-frame mill was constructed for sawing lumber. The following year (1868) it was converted to grind flour and named Cedar Point Mill.

In 1870, the name was changed to Drinkwater & Schriver Mill. In 1871, construction of the current stone structure was started. In 1875, the building was completed. It used stone burrs to grind corn and wheat into flour, with a capacity of 75 barrels per day. In 1884, the log dam was replaced by a stone dam."

(Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinkwater_%26_Schriver_Mill)

Below are three pictures of the structure which is NOT in the best of shape.




 

 

 



 

No comments: